Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Safe way to mail from Brazil to USA?

Safe way to mail from Brazil to USA?
On my last visit to Brazil I purchased a very nice piece of jewelry ($2,500 USD) for my mom's 50th birthday. Unfortunately, I'm a dope and I left the bag it was in at one of my friend's relatives house. To make a long story short, I want to send my friend's family enough money (and instructions) to ship the bag to me so it will arrive safely and legally. I am willing to pay whatever I need to. Besides the jewlery, the bag also contains a Dell laptop I bought in the summer of 2006 and some clothes I bought. Does anyone know how I can ship my things to the US from Brazil. Its a small bag and weighs maybe 5 lbs? Again, I want it to arrive here safely. Thank you for your response in advance.
Other - Brazil - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Use either , Fedex or DHL. or Why don't you try and get a cheap air ticket and just go down and collect it.
2 :
You can use any courier, even the Brazilian post office (it's just as safe as the USPS) as long as you're able to ensure your package for the full amount. You're shipping really expensive stuff...your main concern should not be so much the Brazilian post office or UPS or FEdex, but you have to find put with US Customs how much they're gonna charge for you to receive that stuff. Maybe there'll be no cost, but sometimes they make you pay taxes on things you get from abroad, and they wont give the item to you unless you pay.
3 :
I would try to find someone to take the stuff. For expensive stuff it´s really risky to send by mail. If you live in Brazil and can insure the package (because if you try to claim anything from overseas, forget it) then at least you would have some peace of mind.